As premier roofers, American Standard Roofing has done a lot of home improvement and roofing Clarkston projects. We specialize in roofing, sidings and gutters. We also install insulation and other home improvement projects. Call or contact us today. We will take care of all your roofing Clarkston Michigan needs.
City of the Village of Clarkston or Clarkston is a small city located in Oakland County in Michigan. The city is approximately one half square mile and is surrounded by Independence Charter Township. The population was 882 at the 2010 census.
Clarkston is a small community in the northern outskirts of the Detroit suburbs. Located with easy access to I-75, Clarkston offers a direct route to downtown Detroit and Flint. US 24 begins nearby in Independence Township as a north-south highway. The jurisdiction of the city government is limited to a relatively small downtown area commonly referred to as “the village.” Most people living in the much larger surrounding area of Independence Township refer to themselves as living in Clarkston. Most addresses within the township use “Clarkston” as the USPS preferred city name. Very few residents describe themselves as living in Independence Township. The township and city both use “Clarkston” as a mailing address. Both are served by Clarkston Community Schools.
Linux Jacox from New York built the first house in Clarkston in 1830. He sold his claim to Butler Holcomb in 1831. In 1832, Holcomb built the second house and a sawmill on sections 20 and 21. The town was named for the Clark brothers, from New York. Jeremiah Clark, from Onondaga County, New York, came to Detroit in 1831. in the autumn of 1832 located on section 7 in Independence Township he built a log cabin. Among his three children were three boys, Edwin, Milton and Newton. Nelson W. Clark arrived in 1836 and became a prominent citizen in the township. In 1838, Holcomb sold his interests to the Clark brothers. He then built a grist mill. In 1842, the Clark brothers platted a tract of land on section 20 for a village and gave it the name Clarkston. The first church to be erected in Clarkston was the Methodist Church on Buffalo Street, in 1841.
In 1980, Clarkston was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a Historic District on the merit of its architectural and historical significance. Clarkston has many important examples of Queen Anne style homes.